The word Advent means approach or arrival. It comes from an old Latin word Adventus that literally means “to come toward.” Originally, it was used to describe the season in which we anticipate the approach or arrival of the celebration of Jesus’ birth — His arrival on planet earth.
This set of devotions is meant to help bring out the depth of richness that this season can have if we “come toward” God during this precious season. For during this season, we are reminded that God “came toward” us in the person of Jesus Christ. He will be called Immanuel, which means God with us. This approach toward us meant the arrival of Hope and Joy. The Good News was born on earth and we now have the hope of restoration and peace with God.
The Journey to Bethlehem began through the prophets, hundreds of years before Jesus’ arrival on earth. This journey continued through the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus. As we look at a journey birthed out of God’s promises, that began with fear and uncertainty, we will discover that this journey ultimately ended with joyful and triumphant hope! God is with us! And He will deliver His people from darkness and sin forever.
You are invited to celebrate the season of Advent once again. Come join us on our Journey to Bethlehem and let us be reminded that every time we celebrate Advent, we are one year closer…the approaching Savior will arrive a second time upon the earth and come toward His people a second time, setting all things back in order in His glorious Kingdom of Light!
May God bless you and your families as you come toward the God who is with us on this Journey to Bethlehem.
Have you suffered the death of a loved one? Are you dreading the upcoming holidays? GriefShare can help. Shoal Creek Baptist Church will be hosting an online event “Surviving the Holidays” on November 24th from 6:00pm to 8:00pm. Please go to Griefshare.com to register. Registration required.
- This Wednesday at 6:30PM Bro. Steve will continue in our special 6 week study of Apologetics. Be sure to join us in person or via Church Online as we explore how share your faith with gentleness and love.
- This Saturday at 8AM the men’s fellowship will be hosted at Bro. Jack Ott’s home. All men are invited to this great time of fellowship and Bible study.
- This Saturday at 10AM to 12PM, the church will be having our bimonthly conference. All church members are invited to attend in person or via Zoom.
- This Sunday at 5PM the Women’s Fellowship will meet at the church. All women are invited to attend this wonderful time of fellowship and study. Bring a friend!
There are several important events this week we would like to make sure you are aware of!
- This Wednesday and Thursday (10/7 and 10/8) beginning at 9AM, volunteers are needed to assist with painting the children’s area. Breakfast will be provided. For details please contact Christiaan.
- This Friday 10/9 at 8:30AM volunteers are needed to assist with unloading pumpkins and setting up our Shoal Creek pumpkin patch at Pitchtree Cafe. For details please contact Daniel.
- This Saturday 10/10 at 9AM the building and grounds team will be completing several important projects at the church. If you can assist, please contact Daniel for details.
- This Sunday 10/11 after morning worship the high school youth group will be visiting The Escapery in Kennesaw (1349 Old 41 Hwy NW #250, Marietta, GA 30060). This escape room will see our fearless youth team escaping from Le Fue! All high schoolers are welcome. Please contact Christiaan for details.
The pumpkins are coming. The pumpkins are coming! Maybe it’s that cool north Georgia breeze, but we’re excited for fall. Our first annual Shoal Creek Pumpkin Patch will officially begin this week. We need your help! If you can assist with unloading the pumpkins and setting up the patch, please stop in at the PitchTree Cafe at 8:30AM on Friday 10/1.
You can volunteer to serve at the patch Monday-Saturday 11am to 7pm. To sign-up contact Daniel or visit https://www.cometothecreek.com/volunteer-sign-up/
Remember, all proceeds from this year’s patch will go to support missions and our effort to ship 300 shoeboxes as part of Operation Christmas Child. Help us bless children around the globe in Jesus’ name.
If you have not been receiving communications regularly from the church, like our automated phone based calling post or monthly newsletter, please ensure we have your updated contact information. Visit https://www.cometothecreek.com/update-member-info/ to update your information today.
There are some important upcoming events this week. Please be sure to mark your calendar!
- This Saturday 9/26 @ 8AM the Men’s Fellowship will meet at Bro. Jack Ott’s home. All men are invited for this great time of fellowship.
- Also this Saturday 9/26 beginning at 10AM our monthly food pantry will begin. If you or someone you know are in need, please stop in. If you’d like to volunteer, please make plans to be on site by 9AM.
- This Sunday 9/27 beginning at 5PM the Women’s Fellowship will meet for their monthly Bible study and supper. All women are invited for this wonderful time of fellowship.
we will be having Church Conference next Wednesday July 15th at 6:30pm. In person at the church for those who can come and via zoom for anyone social distancing from COVID. The zoom invitation is below.
You have been invited to the following event.
Shoal Creek – July 2020 Church Conference
Please join us for the Shoal Creek church conference on Wednesday July 15th at 6:30PM EST. Church members are invited to attend in person at the church or via a secure connection with Zoom on-line.
Join Zoom Meeting:
Dial-in: 312 626 6799 US
To join the meeting, from your phone dial 312-626-6799, when prompted enter the meeting ID as 920 438 5457 followed by #. When required, enter the meeting password of 072020 followed by #.
This meeting will be recorded.